Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Heros, Flat Earths, Choir and Addition

Notices:

Thank you for remembering to bring in your coins for our Terry Fox Fundraiser
Tuesday we raised over $50. on nickles
Dimes came in today
Tomorrow bring in your quarters. 

As well try and sell as many entertainment books as you can for our parent fundraiser.

After talking about Terry Fox all week and why he his a hero our writing project for the day was to talk about someone in their family who they think is a hero and why.    Be sure to check out the work your child in their M.E. book on a family hero.  There was so many great things written, I smiled and I laughed.  Here are a few things your children wrote.  (The Initials, not the names of the students, are used )

Even though my brother James is two he is still my hero.  He is my hero because he makes joy in my life by making me laugh every day .  JL

My brother once took out our garbage at 9:00 p.m. just for my mom.  My brother tries so hard just to make the world a better place.  SS

My hero is my brother even if he is being really annoying.  But he is always there for me.  JM







Students line up at the class bank to get paid for their work.
click to see larger
click to see larger
 After recess we read for 20 minutes then moved into Social Studies.  We discussed the scientific ideas at the time of the first explorers.  We talked about how they not only had to convince people to join their long and dangerous expedition,  through seas teaming with monsters, they also had to convince people that they would not fall off the edge of the flat earth.   




Working on their Math Sheets
Students working on their Math Addition sheets

In the afternoon we talked about Choir, which will be starting next Monday.  Those students going the choir had a free work period while those few who didn't had to do a report on Bach.  Those students not in choir have to do musical appreciation while the rest of the class is in choir.

Students examine and correct their math sheets in pairs.
We had an addition math period with three groups and easy, medium and hard group.  Many students tried to do the math sheet that was challenging for them instead of just doing the one that was easy for them.



Last period we talked about the Class rules which are:

1)  Be Happy
2)  Don't be Unhappy
3)  Make others Happy 

In Tillicum we promote virtues and attitudes not rules.  If we simply try and enforce rules then our role changes from being guides and leaders to being authoritarian controllers.

See you all tomorrow.  Remember your first Mini-book 'I Am' is due tomorrow.  Take care Mr. w








No comments:

Post a Comment