Thursday, September 13, 2012

"I am" poems and If I were an animal


Notice:
No school Monday as the teachers are doing Technology, First Nations and Math workshops
Please send the blog permission form home so I can begin to include pictures of your children
Please send in the completed emergency information forms which went home yesterday

Image for those students working on their Socials Title page
Today we began with M.E.  (morning exercises or me)  a somewhat daily journal with guided topics. Today's topic was 'If I could be any animal I would be a ....' The students had to write a minimum of 45 words and could not use the words 'because' or 'and' in the sentence (except in the case of ... I like carrots, celery and peas).  When they get to the point in a sentence where they want to use 'because' or 'and' they are to start a new sentence. This one change in their primary writing habits alone helps improve their sentence writing skills.  By the time that the students figured out the complex border and drawing, half them and half the animal it was near recess.  As there was not enough time to start another project we played a game of 'Simon Says'.

After recess the students began the first of their mini-books.  They were to fill out a form with the following questions:

I am (two special characteristics) 
I wonder (something you are actually curious about) 
I hear 
I see 
I want 
I am good at 
I pretend 
I feel 
I touch (cloth, fur, water, the sky)
I worry (something that really bothers you) 
I cry (something that makes you very sad)
I am the first to
I understand (something you know is true)
I say (something you believe in)
I dream 
I try (something you make an effort to do)
I hope (something you actually hope for)
I am  
The students had to fill out a form  then make a mini-book with pictures for their responses.  This 'I Am' book is due in one week on Thursday the 20 th.




After lunch the students read for 30 minutes then went to music with Mrs. Awalt.  She debriefed them on Michael Mitchell and began teaching them a few new songs and rhythms, one involving dance.  Mrs Awalt is an amazing music teacher and a great asset to the school, we are very fortunate to have her.  Can't wait until the Winter (x-mas) concert.

After Music we went to the gym and played a group game against Mrs. Carlton's class.

See you all tomorrow... Bring your gym shoes...


No comments:

Post a Comment